1) Stare in the Mirror. Ask yourself out loud, “What am I good at? What skill set do I possess?” Whatever your skill set is, somebody is probably already paying you to do that. So why not do it on your own? You need to be finding a way to be entrepreneurial with it and make money. Now. As a young person, you have an advantage of having fewer responsibilities at this point in your life and the time to analyze yourself. The path to a million starts with you knowing you have a million-dollar skill set and you’re worth a million. When you do this, then you can live in an entrepreneurial creative space with an expansive mindset.
2) Don’t Start from Scratch. A lot of people think being an entrepreneur means coming up with something totally new. False. What you need to do is find someone who is doing what you want to do and model them every day. How do they market? How do they sell? Why are they successful? Ask these things and create your own model off of their model. No need to reinvent anything. Refreshen and refine the idea.
3) Be an Annoying Little Brother or Sister. If you have a younger sibling, you know what I mean by “annoying.” They always follow you everywhere. Well, you need to be exactly that to someone you look up to. You’ve got to get a mentor. You have got to get somebody in your life playing a bigger and better game. If you’re not a millionaire, get with a millionaire. If you’re worth a million, you get somebody worth $5 million. Your job is to find somebody who is doing what you want to do and model them every day. Get in deep with the circles you want to hang with. Even if you aren’t from that structure, you’ll learn that structure. It’ll show you lots of lessons that you’ll have to use every day in the future. A lot of entrepreneurs have no structure. I moved into millionairedom at a young age (34), but I knew what to do when it came to every situation.
4) Write it Down. Some young people I’ve met have a bad habit of having dreams, but not going after them. Actually, this pretty much goes for all age ranges, but the point is the same: You need to write down what you want. What do you want? After you have this, start backing into it. If you want an extra 500,000 rand per year, you need 41,700 rand per month. That’s 1,390 rand every day. Divide your large goals into smaller goals and start conquering them. Making your millionaire roadmap is key.
5) “Say YES! and Figure out How:” If you’ve heard this before, it’s because it’s single-handedly been the biggest key to success in my life. You’ll never hear me say “no.” When a problem comes up, an issue arises, or a question is asked, the answer is always “yes.” You start with “yes” and then you figure out if you can do it, or if you know someone who can do it. Start saying “YES!” in your life daily and watch how your attitude toward everything changes. No goal is out of reach when you’re in this mindset. The truest entrepreneurs say “YES!” and go from there.