FHA minimum credit score is 500 to buy a house or refinance.
New FHA policy requires a minimum credit score of 500 to buy a house or refinance. Borrowers with a credit score above 500 are eligible for an FHA loan.
New borrowers will now be required to have a minimum credit score of 580 to qualify for FHA 3.5% down payment. New borrowers with less than a 580 credit score will be required to put at least 10% down payment.
Borrowers with a score above 580 can refinance up to a 97.5% loan-to-value on a rate and term refinance. And up to 85% cash out refinance with a credit score above 580.
The FHA has taken the following step:
- Update the combination of FICO scores and down payments for new borrowers
- New borrowers will now be required to have a minimum credit score of 580 to qualify for FHA’s 3.5% down payment program
- New borrowers with less than a 580 credit score will be required to put down at least 10%
- FHA loan requirements 2014
No credit history
Three lines of credit are necessary to apply for an FHA loan. However, in the event a borrower does not have sufficient credit on their credit report the FHA will allow substitute forms. FHA allows minimum trade lines if you have credit scores.
During an underwriter analysis of borrower credit, the overall pattern of credit behavior is being reviewed rather than isolated cases of slow payments. If a good payment pattern has been maintained, regardless of a specific period of financial difficulty preceded it, the borrower may escape disqualification.
FHA does not require collection accounts to be paid off as a condition of mortgage approval. However, FHA does recognize that collection efforts by the creditor for unpaid collections could affect the borrower’s ability to repay the mortgage.
- If evidence of a payment arrangement is not available, the lendermust calculate the monthly payment using 5% of the outstanding balance of each collection, and include the monthly payment in the borrower’s debt-to-income ratio.
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
At least two years must have elapsed since the discharge date of the borrower and / or spouse’s Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, according to FHA guidelines. This is not to be confused with the bankruptcy filing date. A full explanation will be required with the loan application. In order to qualify for an FHA loan, the borrower must qualify financially, have re-established good credit, and have a stable job.
FHA loan requirements 2014 minimum credit score to qualify is 500.